String beans are a classic side for any dinner table. Healthy and easy to incorporate into holiday feasts or weeknight meals, they're versatile and simple to prepare. Try this effortless but refined recipe at your next gathering.
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Servings: 6
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 lb. haricots verts or regular green beans, trimmed
- 1 tbs. plus 2 tsp. olive oil
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the green beans and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and immediately transfer to a bowl of slated ice water to stop the cooking. When the beans are cool, drain and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter with the 1 Tbs. olive oil. Add the shallots and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots begin to brown, about 6 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are caramelized, about 6 minutes more. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In the same pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tsp. of the olive oil. Add half of the green beans, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are heated through and lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add half each of the shallots and almonds and stir to combine. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining olive oil, green beans, shallots and almonds. Toss all of the beans together, then transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately. Serves 6.
For more healthy recipes, vist redplum.com/recipes.