Combat the winter chills with a nice warm cup or bowl of vegetable beef soup. It is hearty, healthy, and full of delicious flavors. We’re sure the entire family will enjoy this simple recipe.
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 30 minutes | Total: 45 minutes | Serving Size: 6-8
Here is what you will need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 pounds sirloin steak, or beef stew, cut into 1” cubes
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 lb. potatoes diced and peeled
- 8 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, homemade or store-bought
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Optional: chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add half the steak and cook, frequently stirring, until well browned, about 2 minutes. Remove the steak with a slotted spoon and transfer to a separate plate. Add the remaining steak and cool until browned, and then remove and transfer to a separate plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pot. Add the onion and cook, occasionally stirring for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, carrots, celery and potatoes, and continue sautéing for another 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients along with the cooked steak to the pot, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, occasionally stirring. Reduce the heat to a medium-low, cover pot, and simmer for at least 20-30 minutes, or until the steak and vegetables are all tender. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add half the steak and cook, frequently stirring, until well browned, about 2 minutes. Remove the steak with a slotted spoon and transfer to the bowl of a large slow cooker.
- Add the remaining steak to the pan and cook until browned, and then transfer to the bowl of a slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker, and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours until the steak and vegetables are all tender. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Remove the bay leaves when ready to serve. Serve the soup warm, garnished with chopped fresh parsley if desired.